Holiday fire Hazards
Colorful lights, burning candles, and festive decorations are just a few of the items bring charm and cheer to the holiday season--however, if they are not used carefully, your holidays may go from festive to frightening. The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season:
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents, and candles.
- Make sure light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords, and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or before going to bed.
- Use only sturdy three stands designed to not tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees. Keep anything that can catch on fire--like pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains--away from your stove top.
- Designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Levels of Fire Damage
Fire damage is a multi-step process that minimizes the extent of a fire loss and ultimately saves the Homeowner money through restoration vs. replacement.
Three Levels of Damage:
- Minor- Smoke residues affect only certain rooms or areas. The amount of smoke residues is light to moderate. Restoration may involve dry cleaning and/or wet cleaning of ceilings, walls, floors and contents. Few areas need to be repainted and only minor items require replacement.
- Medium-Smoke residue is moderate, and more materials require wet cleaning to remove residues. The number of areas requiring repainting and items requiring replacement increase. Floors may need to be refinished. Heat damage to drywall, cabinets, and contents requires more materials to be replaced. Contents might be cleaned at the jobsite. Smoke odors are noticeable, possibly requiring additional deodorization procedures after cleaning.
- Major-Structural framing and finishes may be charred, requiring structural repairs. Smoke residues are distributed through a large portion of the building, and strong smoke odors. Emergency services are needed, such as Board-up, establishing a source of electricity, winterizing the building in cold weather and removing smoke-filled and charred debris. Restoration will involve extensive cleaning of the structure and probably require restorers to pack and move out all salvageable contents for off-site cleaning. Multiple methods of deodorization are needed to remove smoke odors.
SERVPRO Helps Southampton Homeowners with Water Damage
The problem with water is that it gets everywhere. If you have ever dropped a glass of water or had a faucet overflow, you know that everything around it is saturated within moments.
When you are dealing with water damage in your Southampton home, it is essential to be aware of potential damage inside walls. Depending on the nature of the water damage incident, the inside of walls can become damp.
SERVPRO has several ways to help with moisture inside walls:
We use monitoring equipment such as moisture meters, probes, and infrared imaging to examine walls and track moisture.
We can oversee the removal and replacement of drywall and insulation.
We can use structural cavity drying equipment to direct airflow inside cavities and increase the rate of evaporation.
Structural cavity drying equipment is also helpful for drying under or behind cabinets.
When we are finished drying out the area, we deodorize with foggers, pellets, or generators, to leave you home smelling good.
Drying inside walls is vital for preventing structural damage and mold growth. Do not delay; call SERVPRO of East End and Hamptons at 631-653-9595.
When Your Hampton Bays' Home has Water Damage, Call SERVPRO of the East End!
SERVPRO of the East End and Hamptons is available 24/7 for emergency water damage restoration. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is critical to limiting repair costs and mitigating further property loss. A delay of any length can greatly increase the severity of the damage.
We ALWAYS Answer the Phone Ready to Help! Call Today - (631) 653-9595
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, vulnerable, and in distress. You need a trusted water damage restoration professional to guide you through this crisis.
SERVPRO of the East End and Hamptons has the necessary water damage training and experience to help you these catastrophes. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your property damage. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals we will need to quickly restore your property.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage take place?
- Is the cause of the water damage known?
- Is there electricity available on-site?
Have you recently experienced water damage from a plumbing issue, storm or flood? Call SERVPRO of The East End and Hamptons at 631-653-9595 to schedule an inspection and restore your property like it never even happened.
Here are some flood safety tips from the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross provides you with these flood safety tips:
According to the American Red Cross (ARC), floods cause more damage in the U.S. every year than any other weather-related catastrophe.
- Stay clear of floodwaters. If you come across a flowing stream where water is above your ankles, STOP. Turn around and go a different way. Just six inches of fast-moving water can sweep you off your feet.
- If you approach a flooded road while driving, turn around and go a different way.
- If you're caught on a flooded road and waters are rising rapidly around you, get out of the vehicle quickly and move to higher ground. Most vehicles can be swept away by less than two feet of flowing water.
- Keep children out of floodwaters. Children are curious and often lack judgment about fast moving floodwater or contaminated floodwater.
- Keep your pets' safety in mind as well by keeping them out of the way of flood water, too.
If your property is flooding, call SERVPRO of the East End at (631) 653-9595 for immediate flood damage mitigation.
When you find water in your basement, CALL SERVPRO of the East End!
One of biggest catastrophes for any homeowner is finding water in the basement. In most cases, the only way to deal with such a situation is to bring in professionals like us. Water, contaminated or not, has the potential to cause catastrophic damage to your home. Contaminated water cerates an even bogger, more costly problem. If the situation is not resolved properly, it can quickly get out of hand.
Many factors can contribute to having water in your basement. The room may sit under the water table, which will slowly push water into the home. A disaster like a flood can quickly fill the room with liquid, as well as a burst pipe among other mishaps from malfunctioning plumbing. No matter what causes the water to build up in the home, it will take a certified team like SERVPRO of the East End to remove it and restore the basement effectively.
Call SERVPRO of The East End at 631-653-9595 for all of your fire, mold, storm and water damage needs.
Save Money with SERVPRO of the East End!
It's True! Restoration through mitigation is less expensive than replacing!
The SERVPRO System saves homeowners money by Restoring rather than Replacing:
- Emergency Mitigation Services help minimize additional property damages.
- The professionals at SERVPRO of the East End only use state-of-the-art equipment to determine hidden water.
- Restoration versus replacement of contents saves precious assets and money.
- By using advanced drying techniques, SERVPRO of the East End's professionals monitor and ensure your property is dried properly.
At SERVPRO of The East End, we know how important your property and its contents are to you. We know how hard you've worked to maintain your home. By getting to you faster, having certified professionals in charge, along with using the proper equipment, we are able to save and restore your property, furnishings, AND your peace of mind!
You can trust SERVPRO of The East End for any and all of your restoration needs. Call us directly at 631-653-9595 with any questions or inquiries regarding your specific restoration needs.
Preparing Your Business for Emergencies
There are numerous responsibilities that should be looked after when observing your business, however one of the most essential responsibilities to consider is emergency preparedness.
While having a plan for a disaster certainly can't prevent one, it could nevertheless provide your business an advantage when it comes to protecting it and can help your employees recognize an emergency scenario when it is taking place.
Create a Plan
There are several emergencies your company should have to have a plan setup for, including:
- A Fire
- Severe storms
- Floods from heavy rain and storm surge
- Floods from plumbing catastrophes
- Power outages
- Equipment failures
No matter if the catastrophe is a malfunction at your business or an Act of God, if you have a plan prepared, you can minimize losses.
If a catastrophe should occur and your business property is damaged, know that SERVPRO of The East End is here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
When Storms or Flooding hits Southampton, SERVPRO of the East End is ready!
SERVPRO of the East End specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained use specialized equipment to restore your Southampton property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operate out of Southampton, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Southampton, NY, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 631-653-9595
Restoring Your Southampton Business After Major Storms
Flood damage from heavy rain events in Southampton Town are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large-scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of the East End
SERVPRO of East End specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.